Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Considering

GLAW: Welsh unisex name meaning "rain"

Monday I had no idea what or where Alsace-Lorraine was. Tuesday I found out that is the region of France my Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family was from.

Papa Seed is helping me piece together my family history. I know nothing beyond my parents, and most of that I don't know.

This is in part because I'm about to do a name change that I've been wanting to do for over a decade. I first found out that I had French ancestors around the same time. In wanting to confirm that (I would like to take the surname of my Great Grandfather), I found out that I have Welsh ancestors on both sides of the family, not that far back. I thought I had decided on a new middle name, but now I'm thinking perhaps something Welsh would be nice. I like the looks and sounds and meaning of this "Glaw" word.

Not sure yet. I'm going to be doing this fairly soon, but haven't set a date yet. I could change my mind 100 times on the middle name between now and then. I'm set on the first and last, it is the middle one I'm not sure about at this point.

1 comment:

Toppatwo said...

I had a wonderful great uncle named Jack. When I was born he asked my parents what they had named me. They told him, Alan and he replied, Anvil...that's a good solid name. I was always Anvil to him and I love it.
On my mom's side of the family we go way back to a Welsh family named Gryffid. It's one of my emails. Anvil55gryffid@gmail.com
I love the creativity with old family names and hope you all come up with one you love.
Alan