Monday, June 30, 2008

Bugs

Turns out we have a lot of bugs in the Creek House, I guess in large part due to the fact that the overflow behind the house is now standing water. Lots of annoying mosquitos, lots of bites, lots of buzzing towards the ears.

The heat of the last three days has been brutal. Every year I complain about the heat, but I never do a damn thing about it. I hate heat.

Had a pretty good time at the Georgetown Artopia event, the second year I've gone. It was rough this year because of the above mentioned heat and being in charge of three teenage boys and one teenage girl, and being restricted by the time frame that said teenage girl was available. The event is awesome, but one middle aged Dad/Uncle and three plus one teens makes for a different kind of experience than what I'd otherwise have. I managed to get two of them to stay for about ten minutes watching experimental film with improvised music, until one couldn't take "that high pitched screeching" anymore. Oh well, I guess it isn't genetic.

Papa Seed was up in the mountains almost getting heat stroke while doing research. Sunday I missed my second Gay Pride Parade since 1977. I was once so adamant it was necessary, but instead I took one of the neffs out to eat and suffered through the sweat and heat of the rest of the day at home. I guess I've done plenty of them that I'm allowed to call in for a mental health day every other decade or so. Still, it left me with lots of memories of days gone by - days of youth and health, which of course set off the old depression.

Mancub and the above teenage girl have been spending almost every waking hour together, which in turn has created a bit of stress back at the ranch with the cowboys. We had to get tough. Translated, I had to leave work early after texting him to get his behind home for a little "understanding" time. I think we understand a bit better, but I don't think it will stick. However, his t-shirts and jeans got put away after a week of taking up precious space in the utility room, and I think there is peace in the kingdom this evening. Except for the damn bugs. I want those to die.

No comments: