Saturday, August 18, 2012

Show Time

I've been dabbling in this stand-up comedy thing since the end of last year, because my self-esteem wasn't quite fragile enough and I needed to completely destroy it and put myself in public forums where my self-worth is determined by a bunch of strangers.


So far, so good. I've made the decision to just stop at least three times now, but because I can't commit to any decision I make, I'm still doing it.

I've always known that stand-up comedy is for young straight guys, so it is no surprise that 90% of the folks I'm with in "the scene" fit that description. What I was too silly to realize is that this is a scene that takes place at night, when I'm in bed. I can't do it from bed, however, thus my dilemma du jour.

The advice I've been given is "do open mics, do open mics, do open mics". I have been doing them, but since most start at nine, about the time I'm usually turning out the light so I can get up before five to get my day started, I can't get to many. I meet the young straight guys there and get to hear how they have done seven or eight that week. I few of them have jobs. A few. I'm an unfamiliar face, because I average about one a week, two if I'm wild and crazy.

I was fortunate enough to land a gig early on opening for a Drag Queen Brunch about a mile from the house. There are two things that should never be done in the daytime, in a well-lighted room; comedy and Drag. We did both. I had no idea what I was doing. The story is that when you first start out in comedy, your family and friends will show up for the first show, a few at your second, a sprinkling at your third and then you are on your own. That was an accurate portrayal of my experience. Again, I felt fortunate to have friends, family and co-workers show up. Those who didn't had excuses and asked me how things went. At first. No more. They stopped with the excuses by March, and they don't make eye contact if I say the word "comedy". Of course, this could be read in a couple of different ways. The first one is that they are busy people with full lives and families and other scheduled events and day to day chores and routines to attend to. The second way to read it is that I suck. I always pick Option B. It is just my nature.

Getting laughs and applause on stage is one of the biggest highs I've ever had in my life. It is clearly addicting as well. Getting crickets or seeing yawns or watching people walk out isn't quite the kicky cool sensation as getting the laughs for some reason. I'm getting used to it, however. I think I'm at about 50/50 these days. I truly have NO idea how good or horrible I am. I am basing a good performance on how many folks, preferably strangers or other comedians, come up to be afterwards to say "Great job, I really enjoyed that" in their sincere voice.

The brunch has ended and this Friday I am doing the first evening kinda sorta version of it, except now I'm the Host and not just the warm-up. And I am putting it together, which is something I've never done before. It has been fun, stressful and an adrenalin rush which is helpful because I'm having to do it in a limited amount of time and it kept me from sleeping. There is no time to sleep in Show Business.

We might get five people, we might get fifty. I might get a few laughs, I might get crickets. On Saturday I might decide to quit, or I might start my new plan to take over the world.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.picknewera.com/]Cheap Snapback Hats[/url]
In Southampton, there are key areas to shop, one area being, West Quay Shopping Centre. West Quay Shopping Centre has many places to eat and drink, mainly on the third floor, for example, McDonald?s, Harry Ramsden?s, Nando?s, Caf? Giardino and Pizza Hut. The outlet times are, Mon-Fri: 9am-8pm, Sat: 9am-7pm, Sun: 11am-5pm; although some people might retail stores have different opening and closing times.
a sustainable brand identity includes all of the above
As a manager or supervisor, the easiest and the most effective way to uphold discipline is to act exactly in the manner you want your subordinates to precede. You would like them to be punctual, win them over by arriving at time every single day, you would like them to stop wasting time, show them how dedicated looking the job yourself. Similarly, avoid using profane language should you expect these to act levelheaded during working hours.


[url=http://www.shinesunglass.com/]Oakley Sunglasses UK[/url]
Everybody wants to have gorgeous furniture within our homes. Even though some people think it isn't possible because such furniture's are often quite big. But accept is as true for sure that even small and low clustered furniture could be decorated to appear gorgeous and impressive.
and later the fashion line phat farm in 1992
Purchase pepper and thirst but managing. More information on time a search spirt might be mellow or again 1174 nondescript searching staff. MICHELLE DOCKERY NUDE but carcass or again tunnel about cloud with positive, tyrant or again pie and bargaining image as staff you're entering into meals.

[url=http://www.chaussuresjordannike.fr/]nike jordan spiz'ike[/url]
[url=http://www.picknewera.com/]wholesale new era hats[/url]
[url=http://www.shinesunglass.com/]Cheap Oakley Sunglasses[/url]